Sunday, November 8, 2009

Complicated

I was watching a Martha Stewart episode today about artisanal cheeses (yeah I know I'm a dork). I'm pretty sure there is nothing better on Earth than cheese. Any kind of cheese. Anytime I see a display of various cheeses it just makes my mouth water. Whoever invented cheese is a genius.

Anyway, the Martha Stewart episode got me to thinking about the cheese making process, especially as it's described in detail in Goat Song. It's no wonder the good stuff costs so much... there's a lot involved. The timing has to be just right, the ingredients have to be just right, the measurements and temperatures have to be just right or else the cheese just won't work. It just seems like there are so many variables that it's a miracle it ever turns out at all. I decided that making cheese would only be fun if it was more of a hobby than a source of income and way of life. It would be way too stressful otherwise... at least for me.

Mainly I just wanted to do a short post because this blog has been neglected for far too long. Oh and one more thing, I learned that chevre is pronounced "chev", or at least that's how Martha said it. I'm glad I finally heard the pronunciation, it was driving me crazy not knowing how to say it. Crazy French people and their crazy French words.



8 comments:

  1. Those damn library people haven't gotten me the book I requested months ago.

    I am grateful for the picture of this goat. It alleviates some of my pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I know a certain someone who would be more than happy to let you borrow her copy... could even mail it this week... that is, if you want it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not believe how complicated the goat cheese-making process was! Insane. I'm sad that there's no "r" sound in chevre. I liked saying it that way.

    Also, Rachel said "damn!" You know what I've noticed? Kay, you are so damn nice.

    I'm glad this poor blog got a bit of attention! It deserved it.

    I totally love the pic, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I was just wondering if it was too soon to start planning our next book...

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL!

    This is all my fault. I picked the stupid book and now I haven't read it. Though it's not that it wasn't delightful....it's just that I haven't really been in the mood. With so many distractions, I need something that will really hold my attention. And philosophical/historical/sociocultural ramblings about goals? They just aren't as riveting as one might hope.

    So yes, let's please move on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, so I have a couple books that I recently got from the library, all of which I would like to read. I thought maybe you guys could pick the one that sounds best...

    The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein (recommended by my mom)

    The Sex Lives of Cannibals by J. Maarten Troost

    Last Words by George Carlin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um. No brainer. The Sex Lives of Cannibals!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA! I knew you would pick that one!

    ReplyDelete