Saturday, September 5, 2009

Dragging

Okay, well, the fact of the matter is that I'm struggling with "Love" a little.

And Heidi, I feel like this is where I should insert a dissertation about how I will always love you and your lesbian lovers and that-- even if I weren't to love one of your lesbian lovers-- it wouldn't make her bad, or unloveable, or unworthy of love, it would just mean that my personality didn't really click with her personality and that our inner vibrations were vibrating on different levels...and..and...you get the idea.

There were things I liked, of course: I liked the setting. I found the writing style engaging and artistic. I just kind of got tired of everybody being so witty and well-mannered and perfectly kind and totally aware of the appropriate thing to say in a situation. I got annoyed with how brave Clare was and how perfect Teo was. I also grew increasingly shocked at the characters' uncanny ability to read each others' expressions. ("In his face I could see confusion, followed by remorse, and then a flash of ambivalence, touched with a drop of irritation and frustration. Then his entire childhood passed through his memory. Then he grew somber and began to speak.")

Now I don't want to spend my time dwelling on the faults of a book that I know you both liked, so I guess the question is...is there just more of the same? They just had Christmas. Does something change drastically enough after Christmas in such a way as to motivate me to finish? Or should I just cut ties and move on to the goat cheese?

7 comments:

  1. Aw, Rach, thanks for trying to let me down easy! You know, I think having a little while to bask in the afterglow of the book, and then mentally move on, has helped to make the feeling of "infatuation" dim a bit. I don't feel anywhere NEARLY as attached to the whole thing, now.
    I hadn't noticed the flaws you point out--but I'm not sure that the feel of the book changes much, as the book goes along. It seems like it's even MORE so, if anything, if you know what I mean? People being noble and insightful and all that.

    Now that you've pointed it out, I do wish I could read expressions the way they do in the book. Mostly, I find, people either look reasonably happy to me, and so I assume they're not mad at me, or, sometimes, tired, in which I assume perhaps I may have done something wrong. Only a BIT neurotic and approval-addicted, right? (Well--it is a bit different with people I know well. The above description is more with acquiantances...)

    But, if you want to begin dipping into the goat cheese, I'm game! I'm only third in line, in requesting the goat book, at the local library. I'm crossing my fingers a copy will be headed my way soon. In the meantime I'll just have to eat lots of Greek salad. Paul's tomatoes are coming ripe, and they're GREAT! Maybe we should exchange recipes until we've made progress with the book? Or something?

    "Love" to everyone, whatever their book orientations. :)

    --XO Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,

    I think I noticed all the things you did about everyone being so perfect, etc. and I think it's funny we had such different takes on this book. I chalk it up to you being more experienced in the literature world and demanding a more realistic story. I think I used this book as a way to give myself an easy reading break... a "guilty pleasure" read if you will. This was a fun fast read for me and I liked that I didn't have to think too hard. Also, I've read a lot of crappy boring books so when one comes along that is able to keep my attention, I automatically like it.

    Anyway, I guess my point is, I can see why you're not getting into this book. I feel a little sheepish for sticking with my opinion of it, but I can't help it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I certainly didn't want to dissuade anyone from liking this book. It's nothing to be ashamed of-- certainly not a Christian romance or anything. Under other circumstances I probably would have finished it, but my time being the precious commodity that it is....I just wanted to explain why I'm ditching out on this one. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Christian Romance": HA HA HA! You know, you're making me want to be honest... The ONLY reason I can see to read romances is the sex (the writing's usually disappointing, the plot ridiculous)... So, if there's no sex, what's the point?

    Perhaps you meant something more seemly by your dig at Christian Romances.

    I'm looking forward to the goat book. It came in, at the library--Paul's picking it up for me, as I write this! :)

    Luv--H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Heidi, you're in luck. So far the goat book is FILLED with sex. GOAT SEX. It's hot. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ack! Eck! Blech! Kay, I thought you were just teasing me! There truly are pages and PAGES of goat sex in the book! Yuck. I don't mean to be horribly human-ist (prejudiced against other mammals) but the particulars of goat sexuality are rather gross. And all the urine incidents! Double blech. I breathed a long sigh of relief when I got to page 38, and the sex stuff seemed to end. Sheesh. I'll never doubt you again.

    (I AM enjoying the book, by the way. Just feeling a bit squeamish here and there. And, I was wondering: Are you still finding the goatherding life as idyllic as you did before you began the book? If so--if you've got a firm enough stomach--then, it seems you might be meant for that life!)

    Um... relievedly, Heidi

    ReplyDelete