Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I Want a Maid Like That

*Chapter 4 References

First, I love the name Clare. Second, I want a black t-shirt that says "Hausfrau" in hot pink letters. Max sounds like the coolest maid ever.

Also, just so you know, my brain is hard wired to accept stereotypes as fact. When the maid was first mentioned I pictured her as a short, somewhat pudgy Hispanic woman. It wasn't until I read the description of her that I stopped and thought, "Did it say the maid was Hispanic or am I one of those jerks who puts labels on people?" Turns out I'm one of those jerks. I was actually embarrassed at myself for immediately having that picture in my head when only a "maid" was mentioned. Sigh.

One more random thing... has anyone else noticed that Clare is pretty much the same age as the girls in the last book? She has such a different, more grown-up feel to her, even though she'd technically be a year or two younger than those other girls. Granted these stories aren't real, but I think it is an example of how our environment can dramatically affect our development.

2 comments:

  1. K, You're right! Not that you're a jerk. But that Clare IS around the same age as the girls from the other book. And she does have SUCH a different "feel" about her. I find her very relatable. I love that she's such a bookophile. (By the way--your "I don't think I can speak to you right now" comment made me guffaw right out loud.)

    Rach, I'm dang curious what you're reading! Is it the Kingsolver you were reading awhile ago, or are you done with that and on to something else? I'm badly in need of gathering up a list of books to read. Whenever I go to the library I go to the same sections, and look up the same authors, and realize the same thing: Read it already. (And, I really should check out that fishin' book Kay mentioned on her books post. Never seem to think of it when I'm at the library.)

    I want to proudly announce--today's the 20th! Only 10 months, even, until my Birthday! :D (3 days until Kay's month-versary. Or whatevahyacallit.)

    Smiles--H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi-- I just finished reading the very persuasive "Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense." The Kingsover I read was "Animal Dreams." It was lovely.

    Part of the reason that Clare seems different to ya'll could be the fact that you are seeing things from her perspective. The girls in the popularity book may have seemed more mature to you had the narration been as intimately inside their minds as it is in Clare's.

    And yes, I also want Max to come clean my house. I'm having a hard time figuring out what her voice sounds like-- it's difficult for me to find an airheaded cartoon voice that suits her looks.

    ReplyDelete