Friday, August 21, 2009

Mr. Perfect

Thoughts brought on after reading up through Chapter 7:

I'm starting to get a little skeptical of Mr. Martin Grace. I know this sounds weird but he's too perfect. He's the epitome of what every woman dreams of, but somehow it doesn't sound so good now. If there's one thing I've learned in life it's that you have to watch out for the people who seem to be flawless. They're usually the most dangerous.

I guess my point is, if Martin really is that perfect, would you want to have the neverending stress hanging over your head that you have to keep up with this constant exchange of witty comments, designer apartments and romantic gestures? Sounds exhausting to me.*

Also, my special imaginary place is now going to be a cheese store. I love Cornelia.


*This is not in any way a statement devaluing the importance or wonderfulness of flirty banter and flowers. I just prefer mine to be more evenly distributed so as to appreciate the uniqueness of each romantic gesture. Too much of a good thing is just too much.

3 comments:

  1. I know, I know! He does seem... well, if not "too good to be true", then something similar. He's got this gorgeous, witty exterior--but I don't have a great feel for his INNER life. I think that generally, people are most loveable in their idiosyncracies and imperfections. Someone who's all shiny and perfect is just... hard to get to know.

    It's always funny for me to realize this, since I expend a lot of effort trying to make a good impression on other people. But, if my own sense of things is accurate--then I'm most loveable when I'm most unguardedly myself, and not carefully making a good impression. (My inner perfectionist is always incredulous at this realization, no matter how many times it happens.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! Oooh! I want to make a prediction: Martin is Clare's father.
    I know you all know the answer to this question already, but I want to assert this before I get any further.

    Also, I agree. I don't like Martin one bit. He is too perfect. Though I did like the scene where they shared tender kisses for five minutes and she carried them like butterflies in a glass globe up the stairs. That was delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! Rachel I made that same prediction! You're going to be so surprised when you find out Martin is really a Russian spy who kidnaps Clare's father and brainwashes everyone to think he's him!... OOPSIE!

    ReplyDelete